Welcome to the European e-Competence Framework
A common European framework for ICT Professionals in all industry sectors
The European e-Competence Framework (e-CF) is a reference framework of 36 ICT competences that can be used and understood by ICT user and supply companies, the public sector, educational and social partners across Europe. The framework provides an international tool for:
- ICT practitioners and managers, with clear guidelines for their competence development
- Human resources managers, enabling the anticipation and planning of competence requirements
- Education and training, enabling effective planning and design of ICT curricula
- Policy makers and market researchers, providing a clear and Europe-wide agreed reference for ICT skills and competences in a long-term perspective
- Procurement managers, providing a common language for effective technical terms of reference in national and international bids.
European e-Competence Framework 2.0 for download
The CEN Workshop Agreement "European e-Competence Framework 2.0", consisting of the framework, accompanying user guide and a methodology documentation, was approved in September 2010. The CWA documents have been published in digital brochure format.
- European e-Competence Framework 2.0 - download
- User guidelines for the application of the European e-Competence Framework 2.0 - download
- Building the e-CF - a combination of sound methodology and expert contribution - download
- European e-Competence Framework 2.0 - Executive overview - download
e-CF 2.0 and user guide in official translations
- European e-Competence Framework versione 2.0 - download
- Linee guida utente per l'applicazione dell' e-CF 2.0 - download
- Référentiel des compétences informatiques version 2.0 - download
- Guide d'utilisation pour l'application du référentiel européen des compétences informatiques 2.0 - download
- European e-Competence Framework Version 2.0 - download
- Anwender-Leitfaden für den European e-Competence Framework 2.0 -download
- Европейская рамка ИКТ-компетенций версия 2.0 - download
- Руководство по использованию Европейской рамки ИКТ-компетенций 2.0 - download
- Методологические основы и опыт экспертов - Европейская рамка ИКТ-компетенций 2.0 - download
Internationally efficient ICT personnel planning and development
The framework facilitates the link between national structures; additionally it provides a set of Europe-wide jointly defined ICT practitioner and manager competences as needed and applied on the workplace.
The 36 competences are classified according to main ICT business areas and link directly to the European Qualifications Framework (EQF). This provides a European basis for internationally efficient personnel planning and development.
Background and political support
The European e-Competence Framework is a component of the long term e-skills agenda
e-skills for the 21st Century of the European Union supported by the European Commission and The Council of Ministers.
On 4 March 2013, the Commission launched a "Grand Coalition for Digital Jobs" to fill the digital gap. A key priority is to improve recognition of qualifications across countries by stimulating take-up of a European certification scheme for ICT professionals based on the e-Competence Framework.